Snake Reverie / Benzene ??



Place : 10 July 2009 , 11.00 AM , Nerul , Navi Mumbai

"I turned my chair towards my window and dozed. Again the words were gamboling before my eyes. ... My mental eye... could not distinguish larger words , of manifold conformation; long ones , sometimes more closely related together; all twining and twisting in snakelike motion. But look! What was that? One of the snakes had seized hold of its own tail, and the WORD whirled mockingly before my eyes. As if by a flash of lighting I awoke...and wrote this post " - Nikhil Balachander

Folks , this could be an after-effect of continously mugging vocab for GRE !!

On second thought however it could also be an inane adaptation of the famous reptilian dream Fredrich August von Kekule (a German chemist)claimed he had and resulted in the discovery of the ring-shaped chemical structure of benzene in 1865. Although some scholars now believe that Kekule's dream was a hoax to avoid sharing credit for the discovery of the hexagonal shape of benzene, it still makes a wonderful story. :P :P

Cheers!

12 comments:

William Deng-Deng K. said...

Dude. Go grab a beer. GRE is killing u man.

Such! said...

Do you (furtive looks here,there;whispering behind a curtain) DRINK?!!

Such! said...

Ok, sorry.

GRE? Is it that bad?
You are supposed to encourage me. Instead, you write crazy snake-benzene posts?

I'll just go play with ur fish.

Such! said...

By that I mean, the fish on ur blog, you know.

I'm not sure why I have to explain though.

God help me.

Nikhil said...

@ Blue Flame : Duh !! By all means....i drink...and i DRINK WELL :P !!
GRE isnt bad.....its just a lil tiring sumtimes ..
LOL....play wid my fish !!! Offcrse...i perfectly understand what you wanted to MEAN :D !!

William Deng-Deng K. said...

What did u think? He's The COUNT! Count Grishnackh! The dark lord! How can it be that he doesnt drink?!!! He does! In fact,he doesnt drink! He gulps down! :P

Tyrant said...

Lol.This post deserves recognition for the hilarious series of comments that it led to!!Other than that,dude you need get a life..

Such! said...

Hmm, ok, like I saud haven't met him since the Malgudi days :)

Is it just me, or do you also not understand a word of Adith's blog? I mean, I'm sure they are great, but they seem to swizzle right past my ear!
I"M A FAILURE!!

William Deng-Deng K. said...

I added Hamster!

William Deng-Deng K. said...

And a thing called Blues Parade too!

Nikhil said...

@ Tyrant : Thanks dude ! Very insightful comment :P . Yes i do need to get life ..... i had some of it...few weeks bak...now that's been taken too :P.
@ Blue Flame : Adith=Swami=God .... we both were benchmates for the whole of 11th n 12th ....so have been reading his writings for long....but have to admit...was stumped wen i read his poem for the first time ! So u rent a FAILURE , ok ?? :D

Such! said...

Hm, :(, it' not that I can't understand the words itself, I don't get the overall meaning. I have decided, I'm just not an Adith person, I'm more of a, you know, that kind, you know...JUST MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!!

Post a Comment